Skip to main content

Dear Turkey

It's not me, it's defiantly you!

This past week was brutal. I didn't feel well Wednesday morning but figured it was the gyro's I had Tuesday after hiking. Ate my homemade turkey chili Wednesday afternoon for lunch and suddenly my symptoms were worse and I realized for the second time in a little over a month I was sick and it was tied to my food.

As any rational person would do I flushed the rest down the garbage disposal and flipped it the bird! Six days later even thinking about eating a bird makes me queasy, it could still be my digestive system trying to recover but being the rational person I am I decided to look into some vegetarian options for meal prep this week.

As a previous vegetarian I had some ideas of where to start but don't know why I didn't realize how much time I would save preparing meat alternatives instead of cooking up all those juicy animals! We are talking less than 10 minutes, I have "chicken patties" and some steam-able marinara zoodles and it is so quick to make! I also have some minute rice and beans that are also super quick to make. This may be the best thing that ever happened to me!

Disclaimer I am not a true vegetarian and more of a flexatarian. The tacos I prepped this week are real beef (it's never tried to kill me) and I don't plan on giving up meat entirely, just in most of my personally cooked meals.

I have always been kind of a rebel so I don't fit any of the other categories of meat free life because
steak houses make the BEST grilled chicken, mine always sucks. The thought of turkey or pork currently makes me feel ill but I do love fish! I also avoid dairy or really lactose because it also likes to try and kill me, but whey, casein and lactose free products are still on the menu.

So here I am going on a less meat than normal, lifestyle journey. It will take some tweaking to find how to structure my macros without as much meat but I love learning new things. So here's to you turkey for putting me on a path to semi-vegetarianism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did You Celebrate the Holiday?

Yesterday was Labor Day for those of us in the United States this holiday celebrates the social and economic achievements of American workers.  If you celebrated yesterday and you are feeling a little rough today here are three tips to help ease you into your Tuesday and get you feeling a bit better. 1. Drink at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces. If you indulged in adult beverages or ate some foods that are higher in sodium today than you are used to you may be feeling a little rough. Added electorylates could also help you feel a tad better, along with some green tea or black coffee for a boost of caffeinated energy without the sugar crash later.  2. Add some protein to each meal or snack (it will help keep your sugar levels stable) and add in some fruits and veggies for their antioxidant punch.  3. Don't beat yourself up for indulging. Life is about balance and one bad day, snack or meal won't wreck your progress. Get back on track today and ...

Carbs are Killing you?!

Do I have your attention?  Good. Because Carbs Aren't Killing You! They aren't making you fat either. I know, I know all the diet advice out there is telling you to cut carbs and you will lose weight. That isn't actually true. Well actually it is true, but not for the reason you think. All weight loss is is a calories deficit, calories in vs calories out. Simply: to lose weight you need to consume less calories than you burn off in a day. You want to know a super easy way to take in less calories a day? Cut out one of the higher calorie food groups and your calories consumed per day goes down. It's great news for those of you trying to lose weight....unless you actually really love bread, pasta and grains or like me if you cut those out of your diet completely your workouts suffer, you're tired all the time, going to the bathroom becomes a struggle and you slight hate life because you are hungry and grumpy all the time.  So what is a car...

The Six Key Elements to Nutrition Planning: Vitamins and Minerals

Building meal plans can be confusing with all the contradictory diet advice out there. There are however six key elements every meal plan should include. Today we are diving deeper into element number two: vitamins and minerals Vitamins and minerals are typically referred to as micronutrients. Just like with macronutrients your body needs these to help build, repair and perform at its optimal level. They are your nutritional safety net and help your body perform hundreds of vital functions. Micronutrients help every system in your body perform and can also help prevent disease and disorders including blindness and scurvy. Getting vital micronutrients can also help with creating strong bones, preventing birth defects and healthy teeth. Vitamins are organic compounds that can be broken down by heat, air or acid whereas minerals are inorganic compounds and hold their chemical structure. This just means it is easier for your body to obtain minerals through your diet thanks to soil,...