Skip to main content

So Much Cake!

I may have gone a little overkill for my 30th birthday. I wanted all my favorite things and that included my five favorite cakes. So me, miss healthy eating, ate five cakes at one time spanning three plates. Don't believe me see exhibit A.

Birthdays, social events, cookouts etc... always leave those on a "diet" or who are trying to eat better a bit stumped because you want to indulge and have fun but you also don't want to wreck your progress, am I right?

Life is about balance and that includes learning how to survive these functions maintaining a balance between having fun and stopping that little bully voice inside you from making you feel bad about your choices.

So here are some survival tips for all those fun eating events you have coming up.

1. EARNED meals, not cheat meals because it is NOT cheating if you stayed the course and planned ahead. I plan my earned meals. I take a look at my calendar for the month and see what events I have coming up and if I am going to have any good eats at those events. I limit my earned meals to once a week or once every two weeks depending on what result I am trying to get and I PLAN THEM. So I know if I stick to my plan the WHOLE WEEK (S) that I have a fun, planned meal to look forward to. So to continue the birthday theme I knew it was coming and skipped all sweets for a month. Then you don't feel guilty about indulging because it is part of your plan!

2. The big day. if you are having a normal cheat meal you can by pass this step but if you are doing something crazy like me (five cakes) I opted out of carbs with breakfast and lunch sticking to a post workout recovery shake and lean protein with vegetables. So even though I ate a lot of cake my calories were lower going in because I stuck to lower calorie foods.

3. Eat normal the rest of the day. DO NOT SKIP meals to save up. It isn't an earned day its an earned meal, not a free for all day. Eat a healthy breakfast (omelet with veggies), have some lean snacks and a good second meal and then enjoy your earned meal.

4. Hydrate, keep you water to at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces or more. This helps move everything through your system and helps flush any extra salt from what you may be eating from causing you to hold water.

5. Enjoy the meal. It was earned and planned and not you cheating on your program. Don't let that bully internal voice get to you.

6. Recovery the next day. You don't have to cleanse, purge or eat only greens the following day. If your cheat meal made you feel yucky drink plenty of water and eat lots of veggies and lean protein but get right back on your plan.

Earned meals are an important part of any meal plan and healthy lifestyle. You don't have to be perfect 100% of the time. You can enjoy the parties and meals and still reach your goals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did You Celebrate the Holiday?

Yesterday was Labor Day for those of us in the United States this holiday celebrates the social and economic achievements of American workers.  If you celebrated yesterday and you are feeling a little rough today here are three tips to help ease you into your Tuesday and get you feeling a bit better. 1. Drink at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces. If you indulged in adult beverages or ate some foods that are higher in sodium today than you are used to you may be feeling a little rough. Added electorylates could also help you feel a tad better, along with some green tea or black coffee for a boost of caffeinated energy without the sugar crash later.  2. Add some protein to each meal or snack (it will help keep your sugar levels stable) and add in some fruits and veggies for their antioxidant punch.  3. Don't beat yourself up for indulging. Life is about balance and one bad day, snack or meal won't wreck your progress. Get back on track today and ...

Carbs are Killing you?!

Do I have your attention?  Good. Because Carbs Aren't Killing You! They aren't making you fat either. I know, I know all the diet advice out there is telling you to cut carbs and you will lose weight. That isn't actually true. Well actually it is true, but not for the reason you think. All weight loss is is a calories deficit, calories in vs calories out. Simply: to lose weight you need to consume less calories than you burn off in a day. You want to know a super easy way to take in less calories a day? Cut out one of the higher calorie food groups and your calories consumed per day goes down. It's great news for those of you trying to lose weight....unless you actually really love bread, pasta and grains or like me if you cut those out of your diet completely your workouts suffer, you're tired all the time, going to the bathroom becomes a struggle and you slight hate life because you are hungry and grumpy all the time.  So what is a car...

The Six Key Elements to Nutrition Planning: Vitamins and Minerals

Building meal plans can be confusing with all the contradictory diet advice out there. There are however six key elements every meal plan should include. Today we are diving deeper into element number two: vitamins and minerals Vitamins and minerals are typically referred to as micronutrients. Just like with macronutrients your body needs these to help build, repair and perform at its optimal level. They are your nutritional safety net and help your body perform hundreds of vital functions. Micronutrients help every system in your body perform and can also help prevent disease and disorders including blindness and scurvy. Getting vital micronutrients can also help with creating strong bones, preventing birth defects and healthy teeth. Vitamins are organic compounds that can be broken down by heat, air or acid whereas minerals are inorganic compounds and hold their chemical structure. This just means it is easier for your body to obtain minerals through your diet thanks to soil,...