Skip to main content

Plant based (Ish)

A few weeks ago I made the switch from meat eater to my own strange combination of vegetarian, flexitarian, vegan (ish). Honestly I was kind of scared it would wreck all my results and be super hard to hit my protein numbers. I have been pleasantly surprised by the results.

The back story. Years ago in high school I was a vegetarian for the all the wrong reasons. I wanted to be skinny and saving animals seemed like a noble cause. I didn't lose any weight but I did eat mostly plant based for five years. I say mostly because I still ate meat on occasion in private but didn't tell anyone. Communities around diets and ways of eating can be very mean if you don't follow the plan exactly and even people who didn't eat how I ate would make comments.

*Side note if you do this to people stop. It isn't cool or nice. Let people eat how and what they want without comment because these comments can be damaging and create food and public eating aversions that can be harmful.*

Back to the story I went back to eating meat in 2011 when I started my journey to lose 40 pounds. I had a solid plan this time instead of just giving up a food group I had calories and macro numbers to hit. I didn't think I could hit my protein goal on a plant based diet and at that point I was over it so it seemed like a good excuse to just stop.

Fast forward to 2019. I made myself sick twice in less than a month from turkey products. I begrudgingly take the blame here because the company swears I undercooked it and it wasn't their brand but I have been eating this brand for years with no problem with how I cook it but whatever. The point is I got sick twice in one month and suddenly the thought of eating meat made me super quesy. So I decided to give the vegetarian thing a  shot again.

I am a little over two weeks into eating plant based and I may never go back. Some things I have noticed:

- I am eating the same amount of calories and protein but my carbs are up 23 grams per day and my fats are down 10

- I believe this is what has caused my muscle to start increasing rapidly and body fat percentage to drop (carbs are your friend)

- My endurance in my workouts has increased. I upped my all out speed and can maintain distances at Orange Theory (HIIT class) much easier than before.

- Meal prep is way quicker and simpler. I can make a meal in less than 15 minutes.

Don't be afraid to try something new. It might take a few tweaks but you may find something awesome in the process.

If you want to know how I am hitting my protein numbers and get a peak at my meal plan send a message to kickittothecarb@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did You Celebrate the Holiday?

Yesterday was Labor Day for those of us in the United States this holiday celebrates the social and economic achievements of American workers.  If you celebrated yesterday and you are feeling a little rough today here are three tips to help ease you into your Tuesday and get you feeling a bit better. 1. Drink at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces. If you indulged in adult beverages or ate some foods that are higher in sodium today than you are used to you may be feeling a little rough. Added electorylates could also help you feel a tad better, along with some green tea or black coffee for a boost of caffeinated energy without the sugar crash later.  2. Add some protein to each meal or snack (it will help keep your sugar levels stable) and add in some fruits and veggies for their antioxidant punch.  3. Don't beat yourself up for indulging. Life is about balance and one bad day, snack or meal won't wreck your progress. Get back on track today and ...

Carbs are Killing you?!

Do I have your attention?  Good. Because Carbs Aren't Killing You! They aren't making you fat either. I know, I know all the diet advice out there is telling you to cut carbs and you will lose weight. That isn't actually true. Well actually it is true, but not for the reason you think. All weight loss is is a calories deficit, calories in vs calories out. Simply: to lose weight you need to consume less calories than you burn off in a day. You want to know a super easy way to take in less calories a day? Cut out one of the higher calorie food groups and your calories consumed per day goes down. It's great news for those of you trying to lose weight....unless you actually really love bread, pasta and grains or like me if you cut those out of your diet completely your workouts suffer, you're tired all the time, going to the bathroom becomes a struggle and you slight hate life because you are hungry and grumpy all the time.  So what is a car...

The Six Key Elements to Nutrition Planning: Vitamins and Minerals

Building meal plans can be confusing with all the contradictory diet advice out there. There are however six key elements every meal plan should include. Today we are diving deeper into element number two: vitamins and minerals Vitamins and minerals are typically referred to as micronutrients. Just like with macronutrients your body needs these to help build, repair and perform at its optimal level. They are your nutritional safety net and help your body perform hundreds of vital functions. Micronutrients help every system in your body perform and can also help prevent disease and disorders including blindness and scurvy. Getting vital micronutrients can also help with creating strong bones, preventing birth defects and healthy teeth. Vitamins are organic compounds that can be broken down by heat, air or acid whereas minerals are inorganic compounds and hold their chemical structure. This just means it is easier for your body to obtain minerals through your diet thanks to soil,...