Skip to main content

Vacay Hit Me Hard

New Orleans has been on my travel bucket for almost as long as I can remember thanks to Anne Rice and Sherrilyn Kenyon. I mean what 90s goth/punk/alt kid didn't dream of wandering the French Quarter in search of vampires?

So when my company announced our conference was in New Orleans I knew I needed to stay a few extra days and take a real vacation in the city I knew I was going to love. 

I had three rules for my 10 day getaway, the same three rules I always have when I am traveling. 

1. Have at least one nutrient dense, protein shake once per day 
2. Hit my protein numbers
3. Drink a gallon of water

I hit all my goals, only missing my water intake on one of the days but something about New Orleans did not agree with my body. I spent most of the trip feeling lethargic, dizzy and nauseous. Many of these symptoms stuck with me even after getting home.

My best guess is that the combination of food I wasn't used to and the different climate wreaked havoc on my gut biome.  I recently read the book Unstoppable by Tim Green and I have been focusing on paying attention to how certain foods affect how I feel. You should check it out if you are interested in how to bio hack for optimized health and performance. 

I was so excited to get back to preparing my own food and getting back to routine. I had one half assed workout during my vacation and though I walked a lot I actually walked less than I would normally between my job and fitness routine. 

Meal plan wise I committed to 21 days of clean eating. Which means stocking up on fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and complex carbs while avoiding sweets, fried foods and alcohol. I am also focusing on water and adding in a pre and probiotic as well as doing a 21 Day balancing program that just helps flush the yuckies out of my digestive system and puts the good stuff back in.

If took four days of this before I even felt well enough to hit the gym. My first four days back were filled with lethargy, dizzy spells, nausea and very runny stools. (Yes, I went there. Bowel movements are a very important part of your digestive system and paying attention to them can help you determine if your digestive system is working properly.)

Today I smashed my workout and only have two of my four symptoms left but I am so glad to be home and feeling better.

Interested in my supplements of choice? Send me a message at kickittothecarb@gmail.com to learn how to get them shipped right to your home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did You Celebrate the Holiday?

Yesterday was Labor Day for those of us in the United States this holiday celebrates the social and economic achievements of American workers.  If you celebrated yesterday and you are feeling a little rough today here are three tips to help ease you into your Tuesday and get you feeling a bit better. 1. Drink at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces. If you indulged in adult beverages or ate some foods that are higher in sodium today than you are used to you may be feeling a little rough. Added electorylates could also help you feel a tad better, along with some green tea or black coffee for a boost of caffeinated energy without the sugar crash later.  2. Add some protein to each meal or snack (it will help keep your sugar levels stable) and add in some fruits and veggies for their antioxidant punch.  3. Don't beat yourself up for indulging. Life is about balance and one bad day, snack or meal won't wreck your progress. Get back on track today and ...

Carbs are Killing you?!

Do I have your attention?  Good. Because Carbs Aren't Killing You! They aren't making you fat either. I know, I know all the diet advice out there is telling you to cut carbs and you will lose weight. That isn't actually true. Well actually it is true, but not for the reason you think. All weight loss is is a calories deficit, calories in vs calories out. Simply: to lose weight you need to consume less calories than you burn off in a day. You want to know a super easy way to take in less calories a day? Cut out one of the higher calorie food groups and your calories consumed per day goes down. It's great news for those of you trying to lose weight....unless you actually really love bread, pasta and grains or like me if you cut those out of your diet completely your workouts suffer, you're tired all the time, going to the bathroom becomes a struggle and you slight hate life because you are hungry and grumpy all the time.  So what is a car...

The Six Key Elements to Nutrition Planning: Vitamins and Minerals

Building meal plans can be confusing with all the contradictory diet advice out there. There are however six key elements every meal plan should include. Today we are diving deeper into element number two: vitamins and minerals Vitamins and minerals are typically referred to as micronutrients. Just like with macronutrients your body needs these to help build, repair and perform at its optimal level. They are your nutritional safety net and help your body perform hundreds of vital functions. Micronutrients help every system in your body perform and can also help prevent disease and disorders including blindness and scurvy. Getting vital micronutrients can also help with creating strong bones, preventing birth defects and healthy teeth. Vitamins are organic compounds that can be broken down by heat, air or acid whereas minerals are inorganic compounds and hold their chemical structure. This just means it is easier for your body to obtain minerals through your diet thanks to soil,...